Monday, May 2, 2011

Caste Systems

My name is Junaid Arshad and I am a Sunni Muslim. I chose to read this book because it's setting took place in a region I grew up in and am familiar with. I know the customs and traditions, and I have been a part of them. I also know of the discrimination that goes on through experience.

In Afghanistan there are many ethnic groups. Two main groups are Pashtuns and Hazaras.Ethnic groups in those regions are ranked as in terms of their status in the country. The Pashtuns consider themselves the higher rank. Although the government views them in the same way. They're  atleast seven different tribal groups. This includes the Durrani, Ghilzai, Jaji, Mangal, Safi, Mamund, and Mohmand. Pasthuns are Sunni Muslim which is the majority and Hazaras are Shia Muslims which are only a small percentage of the entire Muslim race.

Usually people with more power in these countries have a lot of control in the areas they live in. In the novel, The Kite Runner, Hassan was forced to serve Assef and his friends, although they had raped Hassan earlier in the novel. This just proves the caste system has such control over the lifes of those in lower castes. He was unable to tell on the boys because of the fact that they were of a higher rank.

Social heirarchy has such an effect on society, and those who live in it. This story has taught me to respect those around me, no matter what class they belong to. This story really hits home because I am a Sunni Pasthun. In my home in Pakistan, this same discrimination can be seen. Next time I visit Pakistan, I will remember this incredible novel and how it has changed my outlook on those around me.




Amir and Hassan (from right to left)


 
The common Pashtun home


 
A common Hazara home

1 comment:

  1. great point, currently reading this novel. What you are saying is very true
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete